There aren’t too many vegetables, in my opinion, that are more refreshing than a cucumber. We eat cucumbers in some form with dinner at least twice a week, usually in a chopped salad…sometimes grated and mixed in yogurt for a nice raita. Cucumbers pair nicely with the spicy cuisine of Pakistan that we eat so often in our little house.
I love leafing through Indian cook books looking for inspiration. I took out the beautiful cookbook Mangoes and Curry Leaves by Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid from the library because I had heard such great things about the book. It is loaded with fantastic photography and tempting recipes from the Indian sub-continent. If you never heard of or seen this book and are at all into cooking or learning more about Indian food, then you should track down this book!
A recipe in the book for a spiced cucumber salad immediately jumped out at me as something I had to try. It is a salad made of chopped cucumbers tossed in a spiced mustard oil and yogurt dressing. I altered the recipe to work with the ingredients I had on hand instead of running out and buying some additional spices. The end result is still very impressive.
Spiced Cucumber Salad
(adapted from Mangoes and Curry Leaves)
- 1/2 pound English cucumbers
- 2 Tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard oil
- 1 green chili cut lengthwise
- pinch of cayenne powder
- pinch of tumeric
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons minced cilantro
- Cut cucumbers into quarters lengthwise and then cut again into 1.5 inch long pieces.
- Put cucumbers in a strainer/colander in the sink (or over a bowl) and sprinkle with 2 Tablespoons of salt. Let sit for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a heavy skillet, dry roast the sesame seeds until golden.
- In a small bowl, mix sesame seeds, cumin, and yogurt to make paste. Set aside.
- Rinse cucumbers with cold water. Squeeze them gently to get out any excess water. Put cucumbers in a bowl.
- Add spice paste to cucumbers and rub all over to coat them. Set aside.
- Heat mustard oil in skillet over medium heat. Add the green chili and cook for about a minute, stirring occasionally. Add the cayenne and tumeric and stir.
- Pour the flavored oil over the cucumbers and toss gently.
- Add the lemon juice and toss.
- Set aside for 10-20 minutes to let the flavors blend.
- Just before serving add the cilantro leaves and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Toss gently to mix.