I keep telling myself I have to start posting again…but I’ve been so busy preparing for the arrival of the first mini-mango. I currently have exactly 2 weeks until my due date. I sit here looking out the window at the falling snow as I type this entry wondering when the little guy will make his appearance.
My resolutions or goals for this year are to:
1) Be a great mom
2) Start to cook and bake again. Between being pregnant and doing a kitchen renovation this spring and summer I haven’t been cooking and baking nearly as much as I used to. I am staying fed though thanks to Mr Mango who has been a total sweetie and pampering my tummy with his home-cooked meals.
3) Pay attention to my poor neglected blog (not going several months between posts)
4) Make a serious dent in the books sitting unread on my to read shelf. I would love to get to the point where they all fit on one shelf without having to stack books upon books upon books. sigh.
What are your goals for the year?
My apologies for completely disappearing for the past few months. A couple of things were going on that made my world a bit different than it had been.
1) I am currently four and a half months pregnant with my first child. The first few months were rough on me tummy-wise. I was also exhausted most of the time and just couldn’t find the energy to cook or post. I am feeling a lot better now and am starting to get my energy back. I find out in about 10 days whether mini-mango is a girl or a boy.
2) Our house has been undergoing renovations for the past few months. We tore out our old bathroom and kitchen and put in new ones. The kitchen remains where it always was but the bathroom moved to make way for a more logical location of a dining nook. The work is still going on but at this point all that remains are finishing touches such as patching the ceiling, painting the kitchen and installing a hardwood floor in the dining area. I cannot wait until it is done!!
I apologize that I have seriously slowed down on my cooking and posting. Our little house is undergoing some serious renovations and there is dust all over the place. It skeeves me out a little to cook in a house filled with a cloud of plaster dust.
We are in the process of removing a couple of poorly placed walls in our master bedroom to give us a little more space and to make the floor plan more “normal” (thinking ahead to whenever we sell the house). We’ve been able to live with some of the quirkiness since we first moved in 3 years ago but decided to finally do something about it. We are also altering the floor plan on the first floor, to change what was formerly our small TV room into a combo full bath & laundry room. I will be so glad when I don’t have to trudge to the laundromat anymore.
We are changing what was formerly a full bath right off the kitchen into a breakfast nook to make our kitchen an eat-in one. We believe this will make the layout of the house more appealing to buyers when we eventaully put the house on the market…plus by moving the bathroom from where it currently is located we have a logical place to expand and add a family room in the future.
I can’t wait until the dust settles and everything is done!
Here are some fun items I’ve spotted that would help ME get into the spirit of St. Patrick’s Day. Sure, I’m only half Irish, but I love any excuse for family & friends to gather for food & fine beverages.
I love adding a splash of color with cure shoes like these Haurache inspired green leather flats from Sam Edelman ($99)
Another easy way to add a little festivity to your outfit is with jewelry…Banana Republic Beach Glass Fringe Necklace ($59)
In case your cupcakes get jealous of your cute St. Pat’s getup you can buy them their own frocks…From BusyIzzysBakery on etsy: 1 dozen shamrock cupcake wrappers ($6)
These would make nice St. Pat’s party favors. From Department 56: Irish Blessings Photo/Memo Holder ($6)
6 festive chocolate-covered Strawberries from Shari’s Berries — too cute! ($34.99)
Flouncy & fun Shamrock Apron from ElsiesFlat @etsy ($20)
Mardi Gras is upon us next Tuesday. Do you have your beads ready? Here is some festive Mardi Gras gear that I’ve found around the web.
Click the images for more info on each item.
Mardi Gras Earrings from Exit31 at Etsy in festive Mardi Gras tones of gold, purple, and green.
A chic, super-marked down violet cowl-neck sweater dress from Banana Republic for only $34.99 (originally $130)
Mardi Gras King Cake Blended Creme Soaps from Soapalayasoaps @ Etsy. SO cute! and only $8.50.
Printable/Festive set of winetags, invitations, cupcake picks and more at the low low price of $5. These are from paperandcakes at Etsy.
NOLA Street Tiles plaque that you can get with a ribbon to hang or without. $15!! This is from neworleanstiles on Etsy.
Take advantage of Xmas markdowns. Pottery Barn has mini-ornaments in green and purple for 50% off the original price. Fill a vase with these glass baubles for a look remniscent of Mardi Gras beads.
Gold Mercury Glass Votive candle holders for only $2.40 each. These would look festive scattered around your Mardi Gras dinner table.
Mardi Gras Harlequin Plate $28.00
I started making Floating Islands yesterday and have my creme anglaise in the fridge… and then my husband came down with a horrible cold yesterday afternoon and all plans to serve up this dish were delayed.
I will finish them up tomorrow and post about them soon there after. My apologies to Shari of Whisk for not posting the Islands today. I will post about her selection soon…I promise.