I realized that when I started this blog I just dove right in without any sort of introductory post. I started this blog as both a way to track my reading and the recipes that I made and enjoyed. I read so many books and I cook so many recipes that sometimes I simply lose track. I start to forget what a particular book was about or I forget which recipes I cooked or where I got them from.
So, as a means of a little bit of “getting to know me” exercise, here are 5 random facts about moi:
- I am what some might call a Masshole. Well, mostly because I was born and raised in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. I have never lived anywhere else. Though, I wouldn’t call myself a masshole since I tend to think I am a pretty decent human being. (aside from the occasional snark attack)
- I don’t eat pork (for the most part). I was never much of a pork chop fan, just ask my mom. When she used to serve pork chops for dinner and force me to eat them, the only way I could get through was to put a big pile of apple sauce on my plate and cut the pork chop up into tiny pieces and eat each tiny piece buried in a spoonful of apple sauce…So, when I married my husband, who is muslim and doesn’t eat pork, I felt it was the right thing to do to “cease and desist” from eating pork. I do occasionally miss having a ham steak for breakfast, but I get by. Also, I am not a total extremist about it, if I am served a dish that has pork in it, such as risotto with sausage in it, I will eat around the pork product if I can…resulting in a little pile of pork on the side of my plate. 😉
- Recovered blockhead. yes, yes, it is a blight in my past…I was once an avid (some might say rabid) New Kids on the Block fan. I had pin-ups all over my wall, attended a bunch of concerts and met them a ton of times. I actually met several lifelong friends due to being a fan of NKs. We bonded over the boys, but beyond that we developed lasting friendships.
- My To-Read shelf is out of control!! And not just my virtual shelf on sites like goodreads. In my bedroom, the shelf of unread books is overloaded. There are currently around 150 books on that shelf. Some of the books have been on the shelf for over 5 years. I think I need to buckle down and read my way through all those books!
- I witnessed the tearing of the pope pic. Back in college (Fall of ’92) , two of my friends and I took the bus down from Boston to NYC for the day with the intention of getting in the stand-by line for Saturday Night Live. The musician performing that night was Sinead O’Connor and my one friend was a huge fan of hers. well, we got into the taping and that was the show where Sinead tore up a picture of Pope John Paul II while performing her 2nd song of the evening, an a cappella version of Bob Marley’s War.
The studio audience was stunned into silence. It was so unreal. The tearing of the photo made the live showing of SNL but since that one time, anytime they’ve shown a repeat of the show, they use the recording of her performance from the rehearsal. Also on a cool sidenote, my friends and I got to meet Dana Carvey and the late, great Phil Hartman after the show.