She cooks you sweet potato, you don’t like aubergine
She knows to boil the kettle when you hum bars from Grease
She senses you are lonely but still she can’t be sure
And so she stands and waits, stands anticipating
– “Sweet Potato” by Sia
Sia is one of the most played artists on my iTunes. So, yes, I listen to quite a bit of her music. Whenever I see sweet potatoes I always start singing this song in my head.
I am a sweet potato fan, just like I am a Sia fan. MrMango thinks sweet potatoes are okay…not his favorite, but prepared the right way…he will eat them. I tried these oven roasted herbed sweet potatoes from a recipe I tore out of Gourmet. The thickly sliced sweet potatoes are tossed with olive oil, fresh thyme, garlic, coarse salt, and red pepper flakes. They were super easy to prepare and had a nice flavor profile with the sweetness of the potato, the saltiness, the savoriness of the herbs, and the kick of spice from the red pepper flakes.
Thyme Roasted Sweet Potatoes
(from Gourmet magazine)
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup fresh thyme leaves, plus 6 thyme sprigs for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and toss.
- Arrange potato slices in single layer on heavyweight rimmed baking sheet or in 13×9-inch baking dish.
- Place on top rack of oven and roast until tender and slightly browned, about 40 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature, garnished with thyme sprigs.