One night, Mr. Mango got inspired that we should have fish for dinner when we walked by the seafood case at Fresh Market. I happened to have read a fish taco salad recipe in Katie Brown’s Weekends cookbook earlier in the week and was eager to try it so purchased some cod. These were some great looking cod filets….very fresh. I couldn’t wait to try them out in this salad.
The salad is relatively easy to make. I added some cucumbers and tomatoes that weren’t called for in Katie’s recipe. The end result was a very tasty salad that I will definitely make again and again.
Spicy Avocado, Fish & Black Bean Taco Salad
(adapted from recipe from Katie Brown’s Weekends)
- 2 pounds cod
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoons each salt and pepper
- olive oil for sauteing
- 1 cup salsa
- juice of 2 limes
- 1/2 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 avocado, pitted and diced
- 1 english cucumber, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- corn tortillas
- 3 cups shredded lettuce
- sour cream (optional)
1. Rinse the fish and pat it dry. Set aside
2. In a bowl, combine chili powder, brown sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Rub the mixture into the fish on both sides.
3. Heat a little oil in a large skillet. Saute the fish until it flakes easily. Remove from heat. Break the fish into large chunks.
4. In a bowl, combine the salsa, lime juice, black beans, green onions, cilantro and avocado.
5.Warm tortillas in clean dish towel in microwave for 20-30 seconds. Keep wrapped tightly
6. Divide the fish and the bean mixture equally among the tortillas. Top with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers and if desired, sour cream.