Earlier this summer I found myself practically buried in fresh blueberries. I was rifling through all of my cookbooks looking for something new and different to make using some of the berries. I landed on this recipe for angel food cake muffins with blueberries.
One word: WOW.
These were delicate & sweet with happy little bursts of berries. Without a doubt I will be making these muffin/cupcakes again.
(from The Perfect Finish by Bill Yosses and Melissa Clark)
Makes 12 standard sized muffins
- non-stick cooking spray, for the muffin cups
- 2/3 cup cake flour
- 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups blueberries
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 8 large egg whites (7 ounces), at room temperature
- Pinch of cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, plus 6 teaspoons additional for sprinkling
- finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- Position a rack in the center of the oven. Lightly grease a standard-size muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray or use ungreased paper muffin cups.
- Sift the cake flour, confectioner’s sugar, and salt onto a piece of parchment or waxed paper and set aside. In a small bowl, toss the blueberries with the vanilla.
- In a clean bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar on medium-low speed until frothy. Add 1 tablespoon of the granulated sugar and beat at medium until soft peaks form. Beat in the remaining granulated sugar, a raise the speed to high. Beat until stiff peaks form. While the eggs are beating, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- When you have stiff peaks, stop the machine and remove the bowl. Immediately sprinkle the dry ingredients and lemon zest over the egg whites and fold in with a rubber spatula, working carefully to avoid deflating the whites. Fold in half of the blueberries.
- Divide the batter among the muffin cups so that each is two-thirds full. Top each muffin with a few more blueberries and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar.
- Bake on the center rack until the muffins are lightly golden and a cake tester insterted in their centers comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Remove the muffins from the tin as soon as they come out of the oven and transfer them to a wire rack to cool for 15 minutes. Serve within 4 hours.