I was looking for a quick & easy appetizer for a casual summer dinner and found this one for Baked Caprese Salad while browsing through one of my Giada cookbooks. I love fresh mozzarella with tomatoes and basil. It is one of my favorite flavor combos for summertime.
These little bites were very easy to make and came together in minutes. They were also gone in minutes. I will definitely make these again!
Baked Caprese Salad
(from Everyday Pasta by Giada De Laurentiis)
- 1 baguette, sliced 1/2 inch thick (30-36 slices)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 5 roma (plum) tomatoes, sliced
- 1 1/4 pounds fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- Leaves from 1 bunch of fresh basil (sliced if large leaf)
1) Pre-heat oven to 450 F.
2) Arrange baguette slices on a baking sheet, brush with some of the oil and sprinkle with salt. Bake until the bread is pale golden and crisp, about 5 minutes.
3) Top each slice of bread with a slice of tomato and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top with a slice of mozzarella cheese and sprinkle with salt.
4) Return the baking sheet to the oven until the cheese and tomato are just warm, about 5 minutes.
5) Arrange the toasts on a serving platter. Top each toast with a basil leaf. Using the brush, drizzle remaining olive oil over the basil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve.