I make raita all of the time. Raita is a yogurt sauce that is a favorite condiment in our household. Usually my raita is a pretty simple mix of plain yogurt, salt, and some masala spices. I decided to try this spinach raita recipe that I saw in a local supermarket flyer. It got rave reviews for its flavorfullness…and who can hate something with the added health benefit of spinach??? If you feed this to your kids they may not even notice the spinach…serve it as a dipping sauce for chicken tenders.
- 1 1/2 cups light plain yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- black pepper (to season)
- 6 oz. baby spinach
- 1/4 cup lightly packed cilantro
- 1/4 cup lightly packed mint leaves
1) Heat oil in a large non stick skillet until shimmering. Add spinach and sprinkle with black pepper (vary amount depending upon your own personal preferences). Stir-fry until spinach is wilted, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove spinach from pan. Cool and drain, then squeeze out excess moisture. Chop and set aside.
2) In food processor or blender, combine yogurt, cilantro, mint, salt, and cumin. Process until mixed. Transfer to a serving bowl. Stir in chopped spinach and refrigerate covered until ready to serve.