As I’ve mentioned many times before, one of my favorite flavors/ingredients is almond. These Toasted Almond Lemon Bars from The Sweet Melissa Baking Book by Melissa Murphy sounded irresistible. They have ground toasted almonds in the crust and almond extract in the lemon filling. This was a tasty twist on the classic lemon bar and a perfect spring treat.
This recipe was selected by Holly of Phenomenon as April’s Cookie Carnival selection. I continue my recent trend of being late to the party, by posting way past the deadline. But, better late than never, right?
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 cup sliced blanched almonds, lightly toasted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 20 Tablespoons (2 1/2 sticks) cold, unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 4 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice (about 7 lemons)
- 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread the almonds in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until lightly golden and you can smell them. Remove to a wire rack to cool.