Ina Garten’s Chinese Chicken Salad made a quick and easy week night meal. To make it even quicker than the original recipe, I sauteed boneless skinless chicken breasts instead of roasting the bone-in chicken. The salad was bright and colorful with an appealing combination of textures. I found there to be a little too much dressing and next time will cut back the recipe to only make 2/3 of the amount.
Chinese Chicken Salad (from Barefoot Contessa Parties!)
4 split chicken breasts (bone-in, skin-on)
- Good olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound asparagus, ends removed, and cut in thirds diagonally
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and seeded
- 2 scallions (white and green parts), sliced diagonally
- 1 tablespoon white sesame seeds, toasted
For the dressing:
1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup good apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon peeled, grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the chicken breasts on a sheet pan and rub with the skin with olive oil. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until the chicken is just cooked. Set aside until cool enough to handle. Remove the meat from the bones, discard the skin, and shred the chicken in large bite-sized pieces.
- Blanch the asparagus in a pot of boiling salted water for 3 to 5 minutes until crisp-tender. Plunge into ice water to stop the cooking. Drain. Cut the peppers in strips about the size of the asparagus pieces. Combine the cut chicken, asparagus, and peppers in a large bowl.
- Whisk together all of the ingredients for the dressing and pour over the chicken and vegetables. Add the scallions and sesame seeds and season to taste. Serve cold or at room temperature.
The Chinese Chicken Salad recipe was selected by McKenzie of Kenzie’s Kitchen for the first Barefoot Bloggers recipe in April.