Valentines day means sweets for my sweetie. I baked up some oatmeal chocolate chip caramel bars and cut them into heart shapes. These cookie bars feature oatmeal chocolate chip cookie dough with a layer of caramel. They got rave reviews from my mister along with his co-workers, with whom he shared the cookie hearts.
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup + 1/8 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup + 1/8 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 a 12 oz. package of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup quick oats
- jarred caramel sauce/ice cream topping
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Grease bottom and sides of 8×8 inch square pan
- Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt
- In a separate bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Add egg beating well.
- Stir in hot water, vanilla and flour mixture
- Add pecans, chocolate chips and oats; mix well.
- Reserving 1/4 – 1/3 of the dough, spread dough in layer on bottom of prepared pan.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- If caramel sauce is not spreadable, microwave it enough so that it is soft.
- Spread a layer of caramel sauce over the top of the baked cookies.
- Drop reserved dough by teaspoonfuls on top of the caramel.
- Bake for an additional 10-12 minutes until top cookie layer is golden.
- Cool for 10-15 minutes before cutting into individual servings.