Last week I read the non-fiction book Waiter Rant. Inspired by meal tacos that one of the cooks made for the restaurant staff, I decided to whip together some shrimp soft tacos. These tacos were extremely quick and easy to make. The best thing about shrimp, aside from their yummy-ness, is that they cook up very quickly. I served these up along with the Mexican chicken soup for a meal that wasn’t too heavy.
Chipotle Shrimp & Avocado Soft Tacos
Avocado & Salsa
- 1/2 Haas Avocado, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup Salsa Verde (purchased or homemade)
- 1/2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder (or red chili pepper)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 pound raw medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 corn tortillas
- chopped small red onion
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Toss the avocado, cilantro and kosher salt together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat the stove or outdoor grill to medium-high. Mix the olive oil, chipotle or chili powder, and salt in a large bowl. Add the shrimp and toss to coat. Cook the shrimp until translucent, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes on each side.
- Grill tortillas, until slightly charred and pliable, about 20 seconds per side. (Alternatively, wrap in a damp paper towel and heat in a microwave.)
- Spoon the salsa on the tortilla, then top with about 2 or 3 shrimp and some avocado chunks, onion and chopped cilantro. Serve 2 tacos per person, with a lime wedge on the side